What becomes known to us is often advice we wish we would have been served at birth; however, that which we learn throughout is what dictates whom we become. What follows are 12 truths that have been passed down to me from a wise, wise man.
- Everything is as it should be. It’s crazy how you always end up where you’re meant to be – how even the most tragic and stressful situations eventually teach you important lessons
that you never dreamed you were going to learn. Remember, oftentimes
when things are falling apart, they are actually falling into place.
- Not until you are lost in this world can you begin to find your true self.
Realizing you are lost is the first step to living the life you want.
The second step is leaving the life you don’t want. Making a big life
change is pretty scary. But you know what’s even scarier? Regret.
Vision without action is a daydream, and action without vision is a
nightmare. Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it. Read Awaken the Giant Within.
- It’s usually the deepest pain which empowers you to grow to your full potential. It’s the scary, stressful choices that end up being
the most worthwhile. Without pain, there would be no change. But
remember, pain, just like everything in life, is meant to be learned
from and then released.
- One of the hardest decisions you will ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or take another step forward.
If you catch yourself in a cycle of trying to change someone, or
defending yourself again someone who is trying to change you, walk
away. But if you are pursuing a dream, take another step. And don’t
forget that sometimes this step will involve modifying your dream, or
planning a new one – it’s OK to change your mind or have more than one
- You have to take care of yourself first. Before
befriending others, you have to be your own friend. Before correcting
others, you have to correct yourself. Before making others happy, you
have to make yourself happy. It’s not called selfishness, it’s called
personal development. Once you balance yourself, only then can you
balance the world around you. Read Psycho-Cybernetics.
- One of the greatest freedoms is truly not caring what everyone else thinks of you.
As long as you are worried about what others think of you, you are
owned by them. Only when you require no approval from outside yourself,
can you own yourself.
- You may need to be single for awhile before you
realize that, although the co-owned belongings from your failed
relationships might not have been divided equally, the issues that
destroyed the relationships likely were. For how can you stand
confidently alone, or see the same issues arising in your newest
relationship, and not realize which broken pieces belong to you? Owning
your issues, and dealing with them, will make you far happier in the
long run, than owning anything else in this world.
- The only thing you can absolutely control is how you react to things out of your control.
The more you can adapt to the situations in life, the more powerful
your highs will be, and the more quickly you’ll be able to bounce back from the lows in your life. Put most simply: being at peace means being in a state of complete acceptance of all that is, right here, right now.
- Some people will lie to you. Remember, an honest
enemy is better than a friend who lies. Pay less attention to what
people say, and more attention to what they do. Their actions will show
you the truth, which will help you measure the true quality of your
relationship in the long-term.
- If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never have enough.
If you are thankful for what you do have, you will end up having even
more. Happiness resides not in possessions, and not in gold; happiness
dwells in the soul. Abundance is not about how much you have, it’s how
you feel about what you have. When you take things for granted, your
happiness gets taken away. Read The Happiness Project.
- Yes, you have failed in the past. But don’t judge
yourself by your past, you don’t live there anymore. Just because
you’re not where you want to be today doesn’t mean you won’t be there
someday. You can turn it all around in the blink of an eye by making a
simple choice to stand back up – to try again, to love again, to live
again, and to dream again.
- Everything is going to be alright; maybe not today, but eventually. There will be times when it seems like everything that could possibly go wrong is going wrong. And you might feel like you will be stuck in this rut forever, but you won’t. Sure the sun stops shining sometimes, and you may get a huge thunderstorm or two, but eventually the sun will come out to shine. Sometimes it’s just a matter of us staying as positive as possible in order to make it to see the sunshine break through the clouds again.